24 Dec 2007

Christmas Stuff

My youngest brother and his fiancee have a new baby boy. He was born on Monday, and I haven't yet seen them all since they live about 3 hours drive away. He's utterly gorgeous in the photos on their Bebo site. A new nephew is a top present for everyone!

We all attended the village carol service. Lady sang with the Brownies. Duncan enjoyed the big Christmas tree and the chocolates. He had a bit of a dance to the singing, and there's not many who can grove to 'Hark the Herald Angels Sing' but that boy could! A man was holding a mike to the motley choir during 'We Wish you a Merry Christmas' and Duncan approached him to have a closer look, then directed the mike to himself before singing a couple of lines of the song. Lady said all the Brownies thought he was very cute.

My sister arrived a few days ago and it's fantastic as always having her around. She's the cool pretty auntie who loves all the children and who is adored by them in turn. We've been out shopping a few times in preparation for Christmas day and yesterday's clan party. I was glad to have her with me on Saturday when I had a bout of what I refer to as 'flutters' or to be more exact, supraventricular tachycardia (SVT), in TK Maxx. It's a benign but irritating condition I have had since late childhood, causing my heart to beat at around twice the normal rate leaving me dizzy and breathless. I know how to deal with the episodes. I just have to sit down, take it easy and do a Valsava manoeuvre (holding my nose while trying to blow through it). I can usually get rid of it in a few minutes, but in the shop it took what felt like ages, which made me more stressed and anxious, which made it harder to overcome. Anyway, I was plonked on the floor in the shop feeling a bit embarrassed but knowing I'd feel even worse if I walked downstairs to the nearest seats. Several people offered assistance and one lady got a staff member. The staff at TK Maxx were great. They got me a chair and water and the manager offered to arrange a taxi home. When I said I'd be driving, she offered to have one of their staff drive my car for me (my sister doesn't drive.) But when the SVT passed, as it always does, I was fine and well able to drive myself. It's just nice to know that people can be so kind.

Anyway, yesterday was one of the highlights of the Christmas season; our big extended family party. I booked a room in a restaurant which is about equidistant from all of us travelling from north east, due west or south west. Attending were all my siblings except our youngest brother, their partners and children, our dad and step mum, our step sister and her family. We had lunch, the cousins played, we exchanged presents, my dad dressed as Santa and all the children recognised him, we chatted, Duncan ran around, we enjoyed being together, even if it was kinda loud. We did the same thing last year, and it's just such a nice way of getting everyone together without anyone having to travel too far, or anyone having to cater for 30 or so people.

Now I must go wrap some gifts. I put them under the tree at the last minute, or it might be difficult for Duncan to resist the urge to open them.

To all of you who read this, a very Merry Christmas and best wishes for a happy new year.

6 comments:

Marla said...

Congrats on the new baby! It is always fun to spoil your siblings babies! Have a Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your nephew :D.
We went out for a meal today, partly for Christmas and partly because it's exactly two years since Mother in Law died, so we are remembering her. Tom loved a bauble in a sort of cage like contraption on the Christmas tree in the pub and kept wanting to play with it. Which suited me fine, since as nice as everyone is a whole crowd of people talking in one small room when I've also got two small lads to look after as well can get a tad hectic.

kristina said...

Lots of family and food and fun----and a new nephew! (there is a new baby among my relative, too)----a joyous Christmas!

Charlie is learning to play Hark the Herald on the piano!

Ed said...

I,m glad to hear about your new nephew.
I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday.

Sharon McDaid said...

Thanks for the good wishes folk!

Club 166 said...

Belated holiday greetings, and congrats on the new nephew!

Sweet Pea has insisted on me singing "Hark the Herald Angel Sings" as her lullaby for about the last month or so.

Joe